district lots and maps


Ashcroft Manor

Hat Creek House

Pollard's Cornish Ranch and Roadhouse

59 Mile House

70 Mile House

100 Mile House Ranch and Roadhouse

108 Mile House

111 Mile House

127 Mile House

137 Mile House

141 Mile House

150 Mile House

153 Mile House and Store

Dunlevy Roadhouse and Farm

Cottonwood House

Coldspring House

Beaver Pass House

Crosina lots 195 and 196

map of lot 195 and 196

Louis Crosina left Italy in 1882. On reaching the Cariboo, Louis worked off and on at Tingley's 134 Mile Ranch and had bought and improved his own pre-emption lot behind 122 Mile Ranch. He married a local schoolteacher, Clara Noble, in 1897. When the Mountain House ranch was sold in 1902 the Crosina's left to establish a ranch of their own, halfway between 150 Mile House and the Mountain House.

The Crosinas pre-empted 640 acres of land, three miles up Carpenter Mountain, in 1903. The land became lots 195 and 196, G.1., Cariboo. Here they built a small 2-story building, establishing 153 Mile Ranch. After hiring a number of men, who had worked for him at the Mountain House ranch, for the construction, Crosina was somewhat forced to open a store as many of the workers were requesting payment in goods. Within two years there was also a blacksmith shop and a barn (p102, B.Patenaude:1996).

The 153 Mile House operated continuously for over 35 years. While the success of the Crosina enterprise did largely lie in the operation of the roadhouse, a great deal of popularity did also lie in the blacksmithing services provided by Louis Crosina. Although the "53" was not a stagecoach stopping place, it was known to be a stopping place for teamsters.

By 1912, business at Crosina's store had completely outgrown the original premises and a new store was built in 1914, across the road from the stopping house. The new store was active until 1963, run by one of the Crosina daughters, Lily. Upon her sudden death, Joe and Peggy Patenaude, to whom Lily had eventually sold the ranch in 1958, closed the store and left untouched its contents (p105, B.Patenaude:1996).

During the 1970's Peggy began to go through the store and attic. Although the Patenaudes had intended to close the store forever, Peggy came to realize that there was potential value in the artifacts left in the building. The result was a museum, which can be visited today as part of the restored 153 Mile Ranch (p106, B.Patenaude:1996).

Last updated November 30, 1998.
Produced by Tina Rizzuti and the Schoolnet Digital Collections Team.