district lots and maps


Ashcroft Manor

Hat Creek House

Pollard's Cornish Ranch and Roadhouse

59 Mile House

70 Mile House

100 Mile House Ranch and Roadhouse

108 Mile House

111 Mile House

127 Mile House

137 Mile House

141 Mile House

150 Mile House

153 Mile House and Store

Dunlevy Roadhouse and Farm

Cottonwood House

Coldspring House

Beaver Pass House

 100 Mile House, lots 31,32, and 33

map of lots 31,32, and 33

Located in the valley of Bridge Creek, the site of 100 Mile House ranch had long been a favourite campground of the fur traders along the Hudson's Bay Company's Brigade Trail.

Thomas M. Miller first to pre-empt the land on which Bridge Creek House was built. Miller, the Jeffries brothers, and their partners J.E. Johnstone and Reinhardt, were continually conveying the land back and forth between them. This process went on until 1864, when the 100 Mile House property was sold to Uriah Nelson.

(p32, B.Patenaude:1996).

Bridge Creek House was built in the summer of 1861 and was known as "Jeffries' store". The single-storey log structure contained a barroom, kitchen, and, in the attic, a sleeping area.

Soon business increased and the accommodations were enlarged. A single-storey residence (with bay window) and two substantial two-storey squared log houses were added. By 1867, the Bridge Creek house was a line of five adjoining buildings, the original containing a store and telegraph key.

By 1872, Nelson and his partner Charlton, had sold the 100 Mile Ranch and roadhouse to Charles M. Beak; cattle rancher, butcher, and businessman. Beak, who later owned 105 and 108 ranches, operated large dairies and ran herds of cattle on the land, the products of which were sold at Barkerville

(p33, B,Patenaude:1996).

Later, David Pratt (of Wright and Pratt, 127 Mile Ranch) exchanged his interest in 127 Mile House ranch for the 100 Mile House ranch. Pratt died in 1878 and his wife operated the ranch with the assistance of her brother, until she remarried in 1880.

In 1882 a Crown grant for 100 Mile Ranch was issued to Thomas Hamilton, brother of Gavin Hamilton who owned the 150 Mile House ranch. The ranch changed hands many times and at some point had a sawmill. The buildings eventually became infested with bugs and lice and a peculiar odour, and finally the buildings burnt to the ground in the spring of 1937

(p34, B.Patenaude:1996).

Last updated November 30, 1998.
Produced by Industrial Art Internet Group