To experience the hardships involved with placer mining techniques; one such technique is gold panning. After the outdoors experience, have the class reflect on various Prescribed Learning Outcomes
To research, using this website and other sources, the people of the gold rush era in Yale, BC and/or those associated with the Cariboo Wagon Road.
For students to find alternate meanings of the same word in the website and beyond which have historical contexts.
To research, using this website and other sources,to show your students the realities of personal biases which exist all around us.
To research, using this website and possibly other sources, the Thompson River First Nations people and explore their heritage.
Prescribed Learning Outcomes:
BC Grade 5 Social Studies Curriculum: Economy and Technology:
It is expected that students will:
- analyze the relationship between the development of communities and their available natural resources
- explain how supply and demand are affected by population and the availability of resources
- analyze factors that influence use and development of transportation and communication systems in different regions of Canada
- analyze the impact of modern technology on lifestyle and work
- analyze how people are influenced by and influence mass media messages
- natural resources have influenced and been influenced by development of communities, transportation, and communications. Using a variety of sources, students begin to understand how technology affects economies and lifestyles.